Sunday, November 26, 2006

Mayan Calendar predicted dollar "crash"...

On 11 May this year, I was in an audience of 50-60 people listening to Carl Johan Calleman speak at the Be The Change event about the Mayan calendar. At one point, almost as an aside (iirc), he mentioned that on 24 November 2006, the Mayan calendar predicts that the dollar will collapse (I think those were pretty much his words). Well, according to The Guardian on Saturday 25th, Friday saw "Frantic day's trading sends dollar into freefall"

I can't say I'm an avid reader of the financial pages, so I don't know whether there's an even chance that on any Friday, I might have found a similar story. Or perhaps there are enough devotees of the Mayan calendar around the world with control of sufficent funds for this to become a self-fulfiling prophesy. I don't think it needs a modern day Nostradamus to predict that the dollar's days are numbered as the world's favourite hard currency. Seems like an interesting cooincidence for Mr Calleman to pick this date six months ago.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home